The main Tesla app gets the job done, but there’s some features I wish it included. Over these past few months, I’ve been working on an app for both iPhone and Android, with the goal of allowing you to take full control of your Tesla in ways that the main app does not. You can think of it as a companion app to the main Tesla app.
Some of the features:
- Periodically log data and view graphs (battery level, battery degradation, temps, etc.) – with data import/export
- Perform any action without pulling up an app
- Quick actions (long press icon on home screen, plus home screen icons for actions on Android)
- Quick Settings tiles (Android-only, in pulldown)
- Persistent notification, similar to the Tesla app’s, but with customizable actions (Android-only)
- [Upcoming] Use actions with Siri and Assistant (“open the frunk”)
- Schedule actions in the future (eg. warm up the car at 8am on weekday mornings, or lock the doors in 5 minutes)
- Show nearby chargers on a map, as well as you and your vehicle, and open them in your Maps app
- More features to come, with feature requests appreciated! Features are prioritized based on their upvotes from the community. Some examples:
- Home screen widgets
- More graphs
- Notification center
- Apple watch & Wear support
- Auto-backup data
- Custom alert notifications
I’ve decided to start the app out in free beta for little a while to get as much feedback as possible to make sure things get to a good state for this initial set of features.
At full launch I would charge a small fee for the app – I’ll be continuing to iterate and add features to the app over time, and want this to eventually include every feature you’d like in a mobile app for your Tesla. This isn’t just a one-time release, so if there’s enough interest, charging a small fee would to allow me to work on the app part/full time depending on the amount of interest (I’m a software engineer at a search engine company you may have heard of, and they have some flex-time options 🙌).
I also created r/bestla for updates and announcements from me as well as general talk about the app. If you have a feature request, please let me know! Just make sure it doesn’t already exist there, and be sure to upvote the features you want to see next. I’m thinking voice assistant support is the next move, especially to give iOS users some more outside-of-app options, but I’ll wait for the community to decide what is most wanted next 😁